top of page


Covenant United Methodist Church was born from a merge of Broaddus Chapel United Methodist Church and Wiley United Methodist Church on July 1, 2000. The following is our collective history.

History and Development of Broaddus Chapel United Methodist Church

During the year of 1917, Mrs. Nellie Browning, who lived on Buxton Avenue, gathered the neighborhood children together for Sunday School.  A member of Wiley Methodist Church, she conducted classes in the afternoon in a small store room on Buxton Avenue.  Her co-worker in the project, together with her husband (Mr. William Browning), was Rev. Pittman, an associate minister at Wiley.

Rev. R.F. Broaddus, pastor of Wiley Church, sensing the need of a church in the east end community, organized Broaddus Chapel in March 1918.  Several members of Wiley, living in the neighborhood, were placed on the roll.  Among them were Mr. & Mrs. Charles Green, Mrs. Nancy Valentine, Mr. George Valentine and Mr. J.E. Burwell.  The first pastor was Rev. Locke.

A church building was brought from the Oakland Presbyterian congregation on East High Street.  It was moved to 2425 Kenilworth Ave, and the corner stone was laid in the fall of 1918, the pastor at the time was Rev. W.E. White.

Rev. J.M. Harris was appointed to Broaddus Chapel on April 14, 1935 at the Annual Conference held in Dayton, Ohio.  The East Side Community Center was organized by Rev. Harris, July 16, 1935.  Adult Education was one of its main projects.  His wife (Mrs. Christine Harris) was the teacher.  Some of the classes held at the church were reading, writing, arithmetic, sewing, first aid and also civil defense.

It took several years to pay off the loan at the Springfield Building Loan Association.  Some years only the interest was paid.  October 18, 1943, the debt was liquidated and little Jerry Greene, not yet two years of age touched the lighted match to the mortgage to start its burning. October 24, 1943 was the date of the re-dedication of the church.  Rev. William P. Kellogg of Wiley Methodist Church officiated. During May 1959, the parsonage at 262 Raffensperger was acquired.

In 1979, the Broaddus Outreach Program was started.  The Outreach Program provided services to the community through its food and clothing pantries.  An average of seventy-five (75) to eighty (80) families per month are assisted with food, and others come periodically to receive clothing.  The Outreach office also provides voter information and a site to register.  Broaddus Outreach in partnership with United Methodist and other area churches, organizations, fraternities, schools and individuals in the community provide 150 to 160 families with Thanksgiving baskets.

In July 1991, the Outreach program had grown immensely.  With the food pantry, clothing distribution, then adding a drug awareness program and also a literacy program, the project was in need of more space.  Mrs. Delores Hampton (then Outreach director) in searching for a larger building for the Outreach program approached a realtor who suggested the church on the corner of Columbia and Shaffer Streets.  After seeing the site and finding out the parsonage beside the church was available, the Trustees looked into the prospect of securing both properties.

Outgrowth of it all is the result of our being here today.  Sunday, September 6, 1992 when the church was consecrated to the glory of God.  Our first service was on April 19, 1992, Easter Sunday.

Pastors at Broaddus:

W. Locke – 1917 – 1918

E. White – 1918 – 1920

C. McPheters – 1920 – 1921

Rev. G. W. Thomas – 1921 – 1922

Rev. E. T. Britton – 1922 – 1923

Rev. William Giles – 1923 – 1924

Rev. S. P. Asher  – 1924 – 1926

Rev. J. A. James – 1926 – 1927

Rev. J. W. Pinkey 1927 – May 13, 1927 (deceased)

Rev. W. Britt – 1927 – 1932

Rev. J. W. White – 1932 – 1933

Rev. S. W. Duncan – 1933 – 1934

Rev. C. T. R. Nelson – 1934 – 1935

Rev. J.M. Harris – 1935 – 1947

Rev. Carey D. Stemley – 1947 – 1954

Rev. Leon Mason – 1954 – 1957

Rev. V. C. Patterson – 1957 – 1959

Rev. Sheldon B. Simmons – 1959 – 1962 (deceased)

Rev. Barbara Simmons – 1962 – 1963

Rev. Albert Reed – 1963 – 1966

Rev. Edward Traylor – 1966 – 1969

Rev. Carey D. Stemley – 1969 – 1970

Rev. Peter Fletcher – 1970 – 1972

Rev. James Foster – 1972 – 1975 (Jan)

Rev. Rufus  Scott – 1975 – 1977 (Feb)

Rev. Wilbur Dawkins – 1977 (Jul) – 1978 (Feb)

Rev. Merrill E. Nelson – 1978 – 1984

Rev. Norman Macon – 1984 – 1986

Rev. Wuerthner V. James – 1986 – 1987

Rev. Charles E. Nesbitt – 1987 – 1991

Rev. Terry L. Mulkey – 1991 (Jul) – 1992 (Sept)

Rev. Joycelyn W. Joseph – 1992 (Sept) – 1993 (Aug)

Rev. Linda J. Hedden – 1994 (Mar) – 1996 (Jun)

Dr. Sandra A. Crockett – 1996 (Dec) – 1997 (Jun)

Rev. Wilsonnia McLean – 1997 (Sept) – unknown

Rev. Daryl K. Kearney -2000 – 2002

Dr. Rev. Lois Fortson – 2002 – 2003

Rev. Richard Dunbar – 2003 – 2005

Dr. Rev. Israel Kamudzandu – 2006 – 2007

Bishop C. Joseph Sprague 2007 – 2008

Rev. Donnetta Peaks – 2008 – 2010

Rev. Diane Turner-Sharazz – 2010 – 2017

Rev. Cynthia D. Atwater – 2017 – 2019

History and Development of Wiley United Methodist Church

Wiley United Methodist Church, founded on May 5, 1867. The birth of Wiley United Methodist Church, was formed when a group of Methodists met in the residence of Mr. Frank Gillespie and passed resolutions to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church.

On May 28, 1867, another meeting was held in Funk’s Hall (Main and Center Street), with the Rev. Mr. Paul Fullman presiding, at which time the organization was formed, with the following persons as charter members:  J.J. Whetsell; P. Gallespy; Samuel Dudley; William Chinn; Miles Kennedy; George Martin; William Basey; J. Orbison; E. Tolbert; Albert Ricketts; William Miller; Washington George; Henry Harvey; William Finch; James Dudley; James Strong; Mason Armstrong; H. Vancamp; Elizabeth Kennedy; Eliza J. Whetsell; Rebecah Harvey; Amanda  Richardson; Anna Armstrong; Rhoda Ricketts; Sylvia Mason; Mary Strong and Eliza Walls.

The new organization was called Asbury Chapel M. E. Church, in honor of the late Bishop Francis Asbury, and was known by that title until 1881.

The first officers of the church were:  Trustees; William Basey; Washington George; E. Tolbert; Samuel Dudley, James Orbson.  Stewards; Miles Kennedy.  Recording Secretary, J. J. Whetsell.  Class Leaders; James Dudley; James Strong; George E. Martin; and Samuel Dudley.

On June 1, 1867, a meeting was held for the consideration of the purchase of a lot for a church building.  The purchase of the lot located at 629 S. Center Street, was discussed, and on the following week a contract was drawn up and the site was purchased for the sum of $300.00.  The sisters of the congregation furnished the cash for the required down payment of $50.00.

In 1901 under the ministry of Rev. W. M. Langford the foundation was laid for a new church building.  This building was placed in front of the original building at 629 S. Center Street.

In 1904, the Rev. T. L. Ferguson in his first administration at Wiley completed the church.

During the second administration of Rev. Ferguson (1926 – 1935) a pipe organ was installed and also a new furnace.

During the 1940’s Wiley allowed the City of Springfield to use its private playground (with swings, slides and teeter-totters) as a public playground.  The city then hired and paid the supervisors and furnished additional play equipment such as bats, baseball, badminton, croquet set, checkers and handi-craft items.

Also during the 1940’s, Rev. William P. Kellogg of Wiley continually approached city government and businesses to improve racial conditions that existed in Springfield, at the time.

In the 1960’s to the present, Wiley has served as a voting station for the Board of Education.

During the administration of Rev. H. O. McCutchin, (1955-1964), some members of the congregation felt the church needed extensive renovation and thought that some new or additional facilities should be studied.  Several plans were studied and many meetings were held but no concrete plans were made.

In the pastorate of Rev. John H. Simpson (1964 – 1967) definite plans were made to add to the structure at 629 South Center Street.

But under the leadership of Dr. Walter R. Dickhaut as District Superintendent and the present Pastor, Rev. W. H. Williams (1967 -unknown) the building committee brought new light and means to get a new building at a new site.  Also with the leadership of Dr. Dickhaut, a parsonage was acquired at 342 W. Perrin Ave.

The present church site, of nearly two acres, was approved at a congregational meeting on June 16, 1968.  The closing of the negotiations for the purchase of the site of the new Wiley United Methodist Church took place on Friday, October 11, 1968.

On October 15, 1968, the building committee instructed Unified Church Structures Inc, that the committee was ready to negotiate a contract for preliminary and final drawings.  The plans for the new building were accepted by the congregation on February 9, 1969.

Ground was broken on June 1, 1969, with Dr. Walter Dickhaut presiding.  The first shovel of dirt was turned by Mrs. Mary Jackson, the oldest active member of the congregation.

The corner stone was laid October 5, 1969 with the Rev. W. A. Haupt, our present District Superintendent, presiding.

The first service was held in the new church on Sunday, November 23, 1969, and on Sunday, December 7, 1969, the church was consecrated to the Glory of God.

Pastors at Wiley:

Rev. W. M. Langford – 1901

Rev. T. L. Ferguson – 1904

Rev. T. L. Ferguson – 1926 – 1935

Rev. William P. Kellogg – 194?

Rev. H. O. McCutchin – 1955 – 1964

Rev. John H. Simpson – 1964 – 1967

Rev. W. H. Williams – 1967 – unknown

History and Development of Covenant United Methodist Church

Due to church rolls declining, it was decided by the Miami Valley Superintendent (Bishop Bruce Ough), that Wiley United Methodist Church, and Broaddus Chapel would merge and become the Covenant United Methodist Church.

On Sunday, July 1, 2000, Covenant United Methodist Church was formed, at the present site of Wiley United Methodist Church, 529 W. State Street, with Pastor Daryl K. Kearney being the Pastor.

Another merger was presented to Covenant in 2008, by then Covenant Resident Bishop Joseph Sprague to merge with Faith United Methodist Church.  Covenant’s congregation voted not to merge with them.


A first for Covenant was hosting the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom School (July 2013 – July 29, 2016), under the direction of Pastor Diane Turner-Sharazz.

Pastors at Covenant:

Rev. Darryl K. Kearney – 2000 -2002

Rev. Dr. Lois Fortson – 2002 – 2003

Rev. Richard Dunbar – 2003 – 2005

Rev. Israel Kamudzandu – 2006 – 2007

Bishop C. Joseph Sprague 2007 – 2008

Rev. Donnetta Peaks – 2008 – 2010

Rev. Diane Turner-Sharazz – 2010 –2017

Rev. Cynthia D. Atwater – 2017 – 2019

Rev. Heather Husted  - 2019 -  2021

Rev. Jawwad J. Love – 2021 - 

bottom of page